Tuesday, February 19, 2008

A "Wild..Third Place"

Ray Oldenburg argues that third places are important for human societies in his book, “The Great, Good Place” Oldenburg calls one’s “first place” the home and those that one lives with. The “second place” is the workplace” Third places are the “anchors” of community life and facilitate and foster broader, more creative interaction. These third places are important places that involves regulars—those who make a habit of going there; welcoming and comfortable; both new friends and old friends are found there.

The church is called to be that “third place” for people who seek after an anchor. We have an opportunity to meet an important need in the life of people throughout our community. We must find creative ways to build community life and foster broader and more creative interaction. Furthermore, a third place can only become for us a primary place of importance if we are involved on a regular and intentional basis. In otherwords, your presence in church is important.

I have another “third place” that is important to my daily activities. I love the “Wildfire Coffee House” where Tricia and Mark Sobhani are building another kind community that foster creative interaction. The coffee is excellent, but their hospitality affirms the “Cheers” motto, “A place where everyone knows your name.

I invite you to join with me early in the morning for a cup of coffee at “Wildfire” as we discuss what it means to build a “third place” community that anchors our hearts in building up the “common good.”

5 comments:

Karen said...

You'll have to tell us where Wildfire Coffee House is. I like the idea of the "third place." It wasn't what I expected, but I know my third place is important to me.

Unknown said...

What a neat way to describe it! The 'third place' is the function our former church (in Waco) filled for us. And because I got involved in the church, I found gifts and abilities I didn't know I had. That experience had such a positive impact on our lives, and is something I want Jaeger to experience also.

And ditto for Karen's comment . . . where is the Wildfire Coffee House?

Unknown said...

whoops the Wildfire Coffee house is listed on the Favorite websites list . . .

Anonymous said...

1) God
2) Family
3) Church




10) Work
and make sure is no forth thru ninth and nothing changes one thru three.

Anonymous said...

Wildfire Coffee -- conveniently on the way the Methodist Center on Huebner -- if starting at Vance Jackson @ Huebner, drive on past Lockhill, past NW Military, almost to Bitters. It's on the right in a small, new strip center.
Warm welcome, friendly service, good coffee, good price, relaxing tables to stop and stay a while, not as crowded as the chains in town.
Thanks, Ron, for letting us know -- about 'third places' and about Wildfire.