Thursday, February 21, 2008

Oh What A Day

I have been attempting to write a daily devotional for my congregation, but today I struggled to get my priorities arranged so that I could complete the task in the morning.
I thought that I might share with you the devotional for Thursday, February 20, 2008 which I did finally complete this afternoon:

My Lenten devotion is late today, and I don't have a very good excuse. The excuse that I could provide you would convict me even more; therefore, it is better to simply say "I am late" Too often we find ourselves moving from one activity to the next without pausing for that all important moment to capture our "God breathe"; the breathe that links us to God's sacred and Holy Spirit.

There is a story that I love to share which might give you a little insight on how my morning went:
Rabbi Levi saw a man running in the street, and asked him, "Why do you run?" He replied, "I am running after my good fortune!" Rabbi Levi tells him, "Silly man, your good fortune has been trying to chase you, but you are running too fast."

Sometimes we need to remind ourselves that our faith journey ought to be more like this South American tribal story:
"A tribe went on a long march, day after day, when all of a sudden they would stop walking, sit down to rest for a while, and then make camp for a couple of days before going any further. They explained that they needed the time of rest so that their souls could catch up with them."

How difficult is it for you to find that time when you can allow your "soul to catch up."? Life has always been and will continue to be temporary, but life lived according to God's time is always evolving, becoming and eternal. Today's devotional has caused me to slow down a let my soul catch up with my life, and to live in God's time.

Thanks for reading along the way. I hope that you are able to glean something from this blog. By the way, I encourage you to listen to the Michael W. Smith song, "Breathe" (Youtube clip at the bottom of the blog) Grace and Peace!

P.S.

I haven't had an opportunity to stop by "Wildfire Coffee" for the last three days, and I do miss my friends.


1 comment:

Don B. said...

Ron - Thank you for alerting me to the U2 link at the bottom of the blog page. That particular player that begins the message was given right before the song Miss Sarejevo. With the recent activity in that region once again, it is more than fitting.

I just returned from seeing the U2 3D concert movie. I have to give the boys credit. The "Coexist" trio of songs and "Human Rights" portion of the concert were incredibly inspirational. Coexist deals with tolerance amongst the sons of Abraham. The songs "Love and Peace or Else," "Sunday Blody Sunday," and "Bullet the Blue Sky" bring the message home with little of no dialogue besdies the lyrics. "Miss Sarejevo" starts the section of rights, which includes a reading of the Declaration of Human Rights. "Pride", "Where the Streets Have no Name" and "One" close out this portion. For fans of U2, try and check this movie out, as well as those who like rock music in general. Stay and listen to "Yahew" through the crdiets. Peace.